This post originally published on a previously-owned blog and was imported here to simplify my life. Please excuse any confusion due to this merge. I hope you enjoy the content!
Several times over the last handful of years I’ve seen friends making these “30×30” lists – 30 items he or she wants to accomplish before they turn (*gasp*) 30 – so old!
I turned 30 this year and it is my very favorite! I’m finally in my husband’s decade (we’re 5.5 years apart) and I appreciate not being lumped into those “crazy kids in their twenties” generalizations.
It was always fun to see people’s goals, ideas for things to accomplish and to celebrate their achievements with them. And because I love lists, I love setting goals and I love checking off those goals, I’ve been working on my 40×40 list!
Side note: I reserve the right to change anything on my list over the next decade. Just based on my previous decade, my life and priorities can take dramatic twists and turns. For example, last year I had a few specific and lofty goals that I have now decided to sacrifice for the greater good of my soul, my family and my time management. If I delete something off my 40×40 list, I’ll be sure to replace it with something!
So, here goes! In no particular order:
- Memorize the Beatitudes
- Read The Brothers Karamazov.
- Fully host a Thanksgiving dinner.
- Go a whole month without sugar.
- Memorize the Lord’s Prayer.
- Memorize the Great Commission.
- Master basic meal planning for my family.
- Learn how to use a sewing machine.
- Finish the quilt I started in high school.
- Read My Utmost for His Highest.
- Get to desired healthy body feel.
- Run a 5K.
- Learn to play basic guitar.
- Memorize the Apostle’s Creed.
- Have more babies.
- Memorize Ephesians 6:10-21.
- Memorize Romans 12.
- Make stockings for my children.
- Have an annual overnight time with husband away from kids.
- Get my first massage.
- Catch up and keep up my photo album plan for the family.
- Edit something for pay.
- Host another Secret Church.
- Learn how to successfully grow my own herbs.
- Be homeowners again.
- Change my relationship with food from comfort to sustenance.
- Visit a new-to-me state in the USA.
- Make a custom recipe book for our family.
- Do a 2000-piece puzzle.
- Buy a houseplant and keep it living for at least 3 months.
- Have a board game night.
- Do a renovation/DIY project in the house we buy in #26.
- Memorize 500 verses in the Bible.
- Learn how to change a flat tire.
- Host a Christmas movie & popcorn night.
- Teach and give my children opportunities to regularly serve others.
- Keep my mind sharp by studying vocabulary and doing crosswords.
- Go on a cruise with my husband.
- Start a new ministry within my local church.
- Save $10 for something fun for each item I complete.
It’s really hard to set goals for 10 years since, based on life so far, situations change drastically! But it’s fun to make a list, healthy to have goals and an accomplishing feeling to check them off. Writing them publicly helps me work on them even more!
Really, I have oodles more books I want to read, countless lessons I hope to exemplify and teach my children, hundreds of to-dos in my Wunderlist, much love and time I want to give my husband and, above all, I constantly crave to be more obedient to my Lord Jesus. But this is a fun list to make and it’d be fun if you made one with me! You don’t have to do a 40×40, of course – just pick a point in the future, pick a quantity and go for it!
I plan on updating you on how my goals are going, oh, about once a year, I think. When I feel like it! 🙂 Any questions or comments on things I listed?